| Article By Cindy James on Oct 1, 2002 |
1. So what’s the current line-up of edward shor and who plays what in the band?
Michael Diaz-vocals, Daniel Aird-Guitars,Stephen Anderson-Drums,Grant Hunter-Bass
2. Being a Central Coast based band, do you find much support catering for the genre of music you guys play?
We've been in hiding for a year, writing and developing our product and such, so we haven't really got right into the local live scene yet, but we've played some shows here and there. Everybody seems to be supportive of us regardless of genre thus far, although it's not like we've tried to crack the local R.S.L circuit either..If anything i think crowds haven't known how to respond to us because we don't fit easily into a set genre.I'm thinking the hardcore/metal crowd think we're too soft and the punk/emo kids think we're too heavy...And then there are the people who just stare at us with dumb confused looks on their faces..
3. Were you all in a high school band together or did the band form elsewhere?
Stephen and Diaz went to school together and Daniel is Stephen's step brother..And they've been in and out of bands together for years..Their bassist relocated to Melbourne and Daniel knew me from the band i was playing in at the time(dead baby meat) and asked if i wanted to join...I was getting bored with dbm so I basically left one for the other..
4. How long ago did that all happen?
About half way through 2001.
5. How did the band name come about?
Stephen came up with it.. he comes up with silly stuff like that and insists that we use it.I like it because it's original..It doesn't really mean anything at all..
6. If you had to place your music into a certain genre, where would it go?
It would best be described as emo-hardcore, but we're full of surprises. I'd like to think of us as a *creative* rock band like Radiohead. I hate being limited by a certain sound or style, you can't write the same songs your whole life.
7. What would your greatest achievement as a band to-date be?
we came 4th in a band comp. we were beaten by pre-pubescent boys playing Blink 182 covers, a pub rock band and a band that obviously respected Fred Durst as a serious musician..pfft...we're not bitter..no way..
8. What would some of the musical influences behind edward shor consist of?
quicksand, getup kids, glassjaw, weezer, at the drive-in, deftones,
9. Do you guys have any previous releases or future recording plans in sight?
We start recording our first full length album around November/December.
10. What 3 bands have you played with in the past?
Stronger than hate, In the grey and XntrX
11. What 3 bands would you like to play with in the future?
I killed the prom queen, After the fall and Secondbest
12. What was the last gig you went to?
I don't remember..A whole bunch of local gigs probably..Stephen and Diaz went to both nights of Rival Schools,,I wish i went to that,,
13. - C.D you brought?
glassjaw-worship and tribute
14. All time favourite disc?
Mr. Bungle - California
15. Where do you see yourself in 12-18 months?
With a Quality recording in our hands, with more regular shows and somebody looking out for our business affairs..To be closer to the dream of making a career out of this would be great, we've gotta do it before we get too old.
16. Is there a website we can catch edward shor on?
we have a website at http://www.edwardshor.cjb.net..Kids should stop by and drop us a message on the forum.
O.K have you got any words to sum up edward shor?
Visit the website and find out when we're playing next and come and see one of our intense live shows. We're about as angry as geek-rock gets..