| Article By Cindy James on Sep 17, 2002 |
1. So what's the current line-up of Illegal Ignorance and who plays what in
Edwin (sloth) Sheather- guitar and vocals. Joel (bum) Cameron-
bass. Jonathan (dickface) Park- drums
3. So where's the band based?
We formed in Narrandera/Leeton (rural
NSW) when we were 16 and then all moved to Sydney after scoring a 94.3
average combined score in our HSC T.E.R. Now Joel is in Newcastle, Eddie is
back in Narrandera and I'm in Sydney. I suppose we are based in Sydney
4. Were you all in a high school band together or did the band form
Yeah. I met Eddie in year 11 and he knew Joel from another high
school in Leeton. So we formed like that.
5. How long ago did that all happen?
mid 1999, so that means over 3 years
6. How did the band name come about?
We used to be called "Disabled" but there were already bands with that name or similar. "Illegal Ignorance" came about when we were having a chat about politics and other political stuff because we don't understand it all. Eddie meant to say "illegal immigrants" but accidentally said "illegal ignorance" and we thought it was an alright name for the band because it sort of reminds us of "Destiny's Child" and
"The Pet Shop Boys". Both those bands we really love and idolise. The "Pet
Shop Boys" are SO YUMMY.
7. Can you catagorise your music into one genre? If so what style would you
Nope... but maybe punk. Our first EP is pretty punk but our new
stuff is pretty different. Melodic mellow metal punk???? It's just music...
no labels damn it!
8. What would your greatest achievement as a band to-date be?
Having our sound develop and not having to change the line-up. And we never will change our line-up unless Elton John wants to jump on flute to start an irish pop
band so we can hook up with the Corrs...oooohhh yeah!! That guy that plays
guitar is SO damn fine.
9. What would some of the musical influences behind Illegal Ignorance
Too many: Deftones, Lagwagon, NUFAN, NOFX, Sublime, L.B.D.A,
Propagandhi, MxPx, classical stuff, Frenzal Rhomb, Reel Big Fish, LTJ, Bad
Astronaut, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Ronnie James Dio, Sepultura, Incubus, The
Adventures Of Jet, Ben Folds (Five)...blah, blah, blah. The list goes on,
just spending time bragging I guess...
10. Can you tell us a bit about your debut E.P that's just been released?
11. Is it distributed nationally? If not where can we find it? Nah. Geez,
we're not that good. You can get it at shows and from our website... maybe
distro one day...nah, doubt it!
12. Backing up bands like MxPx and Guttermouth earlier this year must have
been a huge uprise for the band, can you tell us a little about these shows
and how you guys nabbed the supports?
They were so rad. My very first CD was "Life In General"-MxPx. They are a huge influence for me. They're heaps nice dudes. Guttermouth were rad also. Heaps nice, let us drink their small supply of alcohol and funny too of course, but you knew that! Tim Randall (our manager... how the hell did we score a manager??? He's not that special though of course!) hooked up the Warped Tour side show with the very nice guys from M.C.E.
13. *5 Quick questions
- Boxers or Briefs? A combination of both sometimes, you don't want to skate
when you wear just boxers. When you land a trick, your balls hit the side of
your leg and it hurts for a while..half and hour. Wear jocks when skating
- 1 food to eat for the rest of your life? Fruit
- fast driving or cruisin'? A gentle blend of both for me. I don't have a
licence though at the moment. DAMN.
- Piercings or tattoos? Piercings for now, tats maybe later...
- Fashion prediction for 2003? An elegant mix of South American and retro
with a dash of 1920's Scandinavian for that eclectic beauty.
14. If you could put together a show with any band playing along side you
guys on the bill, who would be playing?
Lagwagon would be my choice, don't
know about Eddie and Joel though.
15. What was the last gig you went to you didn't play at?
Something With Numbers and No Joel at the Surry Hills Excelsior. I love Seraphs Coal.
16. - C.D you bought?
Deftones- mini maggot/back to school EP thingy
17. All time favourite disc?
Damn that's hard..ummm Lagwagon- "Double Plaidinum" or Nufan's newy- "Hard Rock Bottom" (both are very, very good).
Sorry, I had to mention both.
18. Where do you see yourself in 12-18 months?
Further than we are now but how much further is the question. Heaps more songs written, playing more shows, meeting more people and hopefully making more friends, that is if people like us...?
19. Is there a website we can catch Illegal Ignorance on?