Sweetchuck Interview By Kath. Sweetchuck Interview
1) How long have Sweetchuck been together?
| Article By Kath on Jun 27, 2002 |
Sweetchuck first started in '98 as a three piece. Then I, (glenn) joined as a backing vocalist and go-go dancer about 6mths later. About three shows after i joined, Justin the original guitarist quit and we sort of got lost for 6 months or so, swapping instruments and playing under various names. Then in 2000 we found a format that worked with Zac on drums, Adam- guitar, and me on bass. Then in about Nov' '00 we met Dave and he came in and completed the sweetchuck you now know. So about 18 months in the current setup, 4 years from the very beginning.
2 ) Where does the name come from?
It was originally going to be a little cartoon charactor that never got designed... Not the vomiting reference that every-one seems to take great pleasure in associating us with.
3) How did you guys all meet?
Well Adam and Zac were in the same year at school. Zac is my sister's boyfriend and i went to the same school but was a few years below Adam + Zac so we couldn't help but cross paths. And Dave... Well that was sort of a chance meeting between him and Adam in a bakery where Dave worked. The rest of the story is obvious.
4) What would be your 3 major musical influences?
Foo fighters, Weezer and Spinal tap
5) What is one thing you'd like to change about the
To have music judged on its merit instead of marketability
6) Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs time?
Hopefully wreaping the benefits of world domination. Seriously though, I'd like to think we'd be touring extensively. It's something I really want to do. I think the others are pretty keen as well.
7) What do you think makes a band stand out from all the others? Haircuts... It worked for the Beatles. That, and quite simply playing music that is original in some way. Not just some carbon copy rip-off of some band that's charting well at the time.
8) You are giving away demos at the moment and asking
people to vote for their 3 favourite songs that will go onto your next cd. Where did you get the idea to do this? Has there been a big response?
It was Zac's brain child. We were watching a reality tv that did something fairly similar at a record company but on a bigger scale and Zac thought it was a good idea. We talked it over and thought it just might work. As for feedback, we've had a really positive response. Most people have mailed us or whatever and given some really helpful suggestions and constructive critisism as well, (which was the secondary purpose of the demo's)
9) Final thoughts........(On your band, where you're headed,words of wisdom, etc....)
Look out for "fast cars and lead guitars" our NEW EP / album hopefully all over radio and record stores. Check out our website for updates on where and when we're playing
10) Website/email details.